A Masterclass in Mediocrity

Unveiling the Reality Behind Barcelona E-Show

This time is all about the Barcelona E-show. It was a 2-day event for marketing technology, AI, and data science type of corporate exhibition. It was all over the internet so it had a hype for the right audience. In this case, I'm quite tech-savvy and eager to connect in the marketing field I reserve my spot one month in advance.


The promise of a two-day extravaganza showcasing the latest in marketing technology, AI, and data science had set my expectations soaring. But alas, reality had other plans.


Entering a noisy and dull environment, my excitement quickly turned to disappointment.
Making my way through a tangle of boring presentations and confusing booths, I couldn’t shake the feeling of being adrift in a sea of mediocrity.  It doesn't take long and I find myself in a so-called corporate exhibition from presentations that you can't hear a thing, to empty brands? It was as if some exhibitors were as lost as I was, unsure of their own purpose amidst the chaos.

At that moment I knew I had to apply my life motto " Reduce Your Expectations to 0".

Determined not to let the day go to waste, I adopted a new approach. Armed with my knowledge of advertising and a keen eye for the extraordinary, I sought out the few beacons of promise amidst the sea of sameness. So I went to whatever I found visually interesting hoping to find out a little bit of "marketing technology".

Yet, time and again, my efforts were met with confusion and lackluster offerings. It was sad to see how different my expectations were from what I actually found.


To make the most of the day, I chased after the free treats. Though it was a desperate move, 
at least the brands that offered something entertaining seemed to grasp some understanding of human psychology. Thanks to that, I found myself engaged in pleasant interactions with colleagues and peers from the same field.

Amongst the clutter, one shining beacon emerged: the easy promo stand. A bastion of clarity amongst the chaos, their straightforward approach to marketing technology struck a chord.
As you can tell from their name "easy promo" it was a platform of engagement to create promotions, competitions, games, and lotteries. The perfect way to make an impression on your customers is by offering them something for free. Just like they did with me! 


Amazing marketing technology, just what I needed in my everyday practice!
Thanks to Randi Jensen their account manager I was able to take something valuable with me from the so-hyped "Barcelona E-show".

While a few diamonds in the rough offered fleeting moments of inspiration, the overall experience left much to be desired.



Comments

Popular Posts